It’s that time of year again to participate in Jamie over at The Perpetual Reader’s end of year survey! I love doing this as I feel it works really well to reflect on my reading year!
Number of Books you Read: 58
Number of re-reads: 2
Genre you read the most from: I’m not overly sure….as I read of range but I’m probably going to say either crime or contemporary fiction.
1. Best Book You Read In 2017?
It’s really hard to choose one book but one that I think is most memorable to me is The Boy Made of Blocks by Keith Stuart
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
I thought I was going to love The Understudy by David Nichols considering I’d loved One Day but it turned out to be mediocre in comparison…
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read?
Saven Deception by Siobhan Davis was a surprise! Usually when I get paranormal books for free from authors or websites I end up not liking them too much but I really enjoyed this one!
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)?
I don’t really push people to read books, I just recommend everything I read in case it would interest someone.
5. Best series you started in 2017? Best Sequel of 2017? Best Series Ender of 2017?
I read a few series in 2017 so I can answer this question with a complete series and it has to be the Blood for Blood trilogy by Catherine Doyle.
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2017?
Laini Taylor, Catherine Doyle, Non Pratt…
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
I don’t tend to read a lot of science fiction or crime (which changed this year) so I’m going to say Nyxia by Scott Reintgen. It was a brilliant debut science fiction novel.
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
Ooh, a hard one….probably Timebomb by Scott. K. Andrews because I really wanted to know what was going to happen to the characters as each chapter went on.
9. Book You Read In 2017 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
Can I cheat and say Harry Potter? I always re-read Harry Potter.
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2017?
11. Most memorable character of 2017?
Again this is a hard one, as quite a few stand out- but probably Karou from A Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor- I think it’s her blue hair.
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2017?
Either the series mentioned above or Stardust by Neil Gaiman. Gaiman is a fab writer and I always love myself in his books.
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2017?
A Boy Made of Blocks- it really demonstrated to me as a reader how difficult it can be to have a child who is on the autistic spectrum
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2017 to finally read?
Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher. It was hyped up when it first came out but the TV show bought it to my attention.
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2017?
“For a moment the image before us is frozen: our world, our lives, reduced to a handful broken stars half lost in uncharted space. Then it’s gone, the view swallowed by the hyperspace winds streaming past, blue-green auroras wiping the after-images away.
Until all that’s left is us”
Amie Kaufman, These Broken Stars
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2017?
Shortest: Doctor Who: The Complete History #7 by John Ainsworth
Longest: Les Miserables by Victor Hugo
17. Book That Shocked You The Most
Caged by Sophie Davis. There was a major plot twist with one of the characters that really shocked me!
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down this ship!)
(Mild spoiler) – Sophie and Luca from the Blood for Blood trilogy
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
Probably another cheat of an answer but the Tenth Doctor and Donna from the Big Finish Adventures. It was great to relive their friendship again through audio.
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2017 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
The Kingmaker’s Daughter by Philippa Gregory
21. Best Book You Read In 2017 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
As I mainly read books I’d chosen myself from my TBR jar I don’t have an answer to this question.
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2017?
Jahan Korakides from The Waking Land
23. Best 2017 debut you read?
Nyxia by Scott Reintgen
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
These questions are always so hard but probably the planet that Lilac and Tarver get stranded on in These Broken Stars.
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
Amy and Roger’s Epic Detour by Morgan Matson.
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2017?
Les Miserables? I mean there’s an awful lot of death and made me feel sad.
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
The Watson and Holmes graphic novels.
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
I can’t think of an answer for this one either!
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2017?
For this one I’m going to say A Gift of Charms by Julia Suzuki. Although I didn’t enjoy the book it was interesting reading a book from a dragon’s perspective.
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad
The Crown by Kiera Cass. Some of the decisions the main character Eadlyn made just made me roll my eyes.
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2017?
There’s a few but on that stands out is Tiffany’s blog over at Beyond the Stars. She writes some really great posts with great layout 🙂 Give her a follow!
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2017?
Definitely my review for Les Miserables. It’s a long review because the book is so long but I included gifs from the film and I really like how it looks overall.
3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?
Probably my Top Ten Tuesday on the fathers of Harry Potter! It seemed to be very popular.
4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
No question it has to be the British Library’s Harry Potter Exhibition, A History of Magic. It was a fantastic experience!
5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2017?
Finishing Les Miserables. That was an achievement!
6. Most challenging thing about blogging or your reading life this year?
Trying to read enough and a good variety as well as keeping up with weekly tags and things. Sometimes I was just too busy.
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
Not overly sure but I know my Top Ten Tuesday post about books featuring disabled characters got some likes.
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
All of them?
9. Best Bookish discovery? (Book related sites, book stores etc)
One of my friends introduced me to Wordery this year! I have yet to order anything from it though.
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
Sadly, I didn’t manage to. I never aim to complete the Popsugar reading challenge, it just helps to add variety to my reading.
I didn’t manage to complete my Goodreads reading challenge either. I think 60 books was a little ambitious.
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2017 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2018?
Probably A Darker Shade of Magic. I really need to read this book!
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2018 (non-debut)?
The new Skulduggery Pleasant Book! I have yet to read book 10 but yeah
3. 2018 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
I don’t really follow new releases so I’ll just wait and be surprised!
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2018?
As previously mentioned- the new Skulduggery book.
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2018?
Just to read more!
6. A 2018 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone (if applicable):
And that’s my end of year survey!
Thanks for reading!